Waffles with Peach Berry Compote
A heavenly way to start your day at Bonshaw Breezes B&B!
1 cup chopped peeled fresh peaches or frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the peaches, orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add berries; cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Combine the buttermilk, orange juice, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with compote. Yield: 12 waffles (1-1/2 cups compote). 6 Servings
- Prep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch