Bonshaw Breezes Bed and Breakfast Guests love this Fresh Fruit PEI summer favourite.
- 1 cup sparkling wine or white grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring wine and sugar to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Stir in the lemon juice and peel, vanilla and salt.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 85 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch
- In a large bowl, combine berries and mint. Add syrup and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings. Prep/Total Time: 25 min.